ARROW OF LIGHT
As revised in the 1998 edition of the
Webelos Scout Book (#33108).
To see the changes which were made in 1998,
To see the requirements as they appear in the 2003
edition of the Webelos Handbook (#33452),
- Be active in your Webelos den for at least six months since
completing the fourth grade (or for at least six months since becoming
10 years old), and earn the Webelos badge.
- Show your knowledge of the requirements to become a Boy Scout
by doing all of these:
- Repeat from memory and explain in your own words the
Scout Oath or Promise
and the 12 points of the
Scout Law. Tell how you have practiced them in your everyday life.
- Give and explain the
Scout motto, slogan,
sign, salute, and handclasp.
- Understand the significance of the Scout badge. Know its parts and
tell what each stands for.
- Tell how a Boy Scout uniform is different from a Webelos Scout
- Tie the joining knot (square knot)
- Earn five more activity badges in
addition to the three you already earned for the Webelos badge. The
total of eight activity badges must include:
- With your Webelos den, visit at least
- one Boy Scout troop meeting,
- and one Boy Scout-oriented outdoor activity.
- Participate in a Webelos overnight campout or day hike.
- After you have completed all five of the above requirements, and
after a talk with your Webelos den
leader, arrange to visit, with your parent or guardian, a meeting of a
Boy Scout troop you think you might like to join. Have a conference with
the Scoutmaster. Complete and turn in a "Join Boy Scouting" application
to the Scoutmaster during the conference.
The following is NOT
part of the Official BSA Requirements.
It is our interpretation of the last requirement above.
The last sentence of Requirement 6 does
NOT say "Join a Boy Scout Troop", it says "complete and turn in" an
application. Since (1) the Arrow of Light can not be earned after a
boy has transferred into a Boy Scout Troop, (2) the troop where the boy
has his conference is not necessarily the one he ultimately may join, and
(3) there may be an extended period between the time he has the conference
and the time he actually joins a Boy Scout Troop (if he does join one),
since he may want to stay in the Pack to earn more Activity Badges or
transition with the other members of his den, we recommend the following
procedure be followed:
- Do EXACTLY what the last sentence of
requirement 6 says:
"Complete and turn in a "Join Boy Scouting" application to the
Scoutmaster during the conference."
Then do the following:
- Have the Scoutmaster sign the application during the conference, as
proof that the conference took place.
- At the end of the conference, take the application back, bring it to
the next Webelos den meeting, show it to the Webelos den leader, as
proof that the requirement was done, and ask the leader to initial
requirement 6 in his book.
- Once the boy has completed the other requirements, and received his
Arrow of Light, and when he is ready to transfer to a Troop, turn in the
application to the troop of the family's choice, pay any fees for
transferring or joining, and ask that the form be processed. If it
is a different troop, just use a new application form.