IN THE NATION
This Merit Badge
is Required to earn the Eagle Scout Rank
These were the REQUIREMENTS before the REVISIONS
made on January 1, 2005.
To see the current requirements
- After reading, discuss with your counselor the following
- Declaration of Independence
- Preamble to the Constitution
- Bill of Rights
- Amendments to the Constitution
- Name the three branches of government and explain their
functions. Explain the checks and balances on each branch of
- Outline the relationships between state and federal governments.
- Do ONE of the following:
- Visit the National Capitol.
- Visit your state capitol.
- Tour a federal installation.
Explain your experiences to your counselor.
- Name your two senators and the congressman from your congressional
district. Write a letter to one of these elected officials on
a national issue sharing your view with him or her. Show your
letter and any response to your counselor.
- What are five important functions of your national government?
Explain how these functions affect your family and local community.
- Discuss the main ways by which our federal government is
BSA Advancement ID#: 3
Pamphlet Revision Date: 1993
Requirements last updated in 1984