Duty to God Promotion
From P.R.A.Y. Publishing
“Duty to God” is at the heart of the Scouting movement. Religious emblems reinforce this spiritual component and promote many of the values found in the Scouting program. The purpose of this “Duty to God Promotion Patch” is to encourage youth and adults to learn about and promote the religious emblems programs.
Requirements: Youth and adults must:
- Attend or coordinate a presentation or information seminar on religious emblems (sample resources and suggestions are available at www.praypub.org).
- Make a commitment to fulfill their “Duty to God.” For example:
- Adults can commit to having 50% of families participate in the religious emblems programs, commit to nominating a worthy adult to be recognized with an adult religious award, serving as counselor in their local congregation, etc.
- Youth can commit to earning the religious emblem of their faith at an appropriate time, making a presentation on religious emblems to another unit, helping younger Scouts earn their religious emblem, helping to establish a religious emblems program in their local congregation, etc.
The Duty to God Promotion Patch is a four-segment puzzle patch with 8 to 10 colors per segment and is 100% embroidered. Only one segment will be offered in any given year. For this year, the "Scout" segment will be available. Participants are encouraged to earn all four segments over a four-year span. Patches may be pre-ordered for distribution at the presentation / information seminar.
The Duty to God Promotion DVD contains the resources to make a presentation on the religious emblems programs. These resources include the video “Promoting Duty to God (Religious Emblems),” Duty to God brochure/chart listing all religious emblems (No. 05-879D), scripts (for presentations to Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, and Venturers), and Parent Handout. Please note: this DVD is available for order now, but will begin shipping on September 6, 2005. Please read our DVD Notice before ordering.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the purpose of the Duty to God Promotion Patch?
The purpose of this patch is to encourage youth and adults to learn about and promote the religious emblems programs.
- Can both youth and adults earn this patch?
Yes. Both youth and adults may earn this patch.
- Is this patch for all faiths?
Yes. This patch requires that you promote the religious emblems programs of all faiths. A person from any religious background may earn this patch.
- What are the requirements?
You are required to: 1) attend or make a presentation on religious emblems, and 2) make a commitment to Duty to God.
- What does it mean to "make a commitment to Duty to God"?
At the end of your presentation on religious awards, Scouts and leaders will be asked to make a commitment to fulfill their Duty to God. This means that you do not have to wait until you have earned your religious emblem in order to receive this patch. Making a commitment to Duty to God can mean talking to your clergy about earning your religious emblem, presenting information to your congregation, helping younger Scouts learn about religious emblems, etc.
- How do I make a presentation?
There are free resources available at www.praypub.org. These resources include scripts, slide presentations, a video on religious emblems, and parent handouts. These resources are also packaged as a DVD available for $5.00 from P.R.A.Y.
- Do I have to wait until after my presentation to order the patches?
No. Patches may be preordered so that you may distribute them at your presentation.
- Does this patch replace the square knot?
No. The Duty to God Promotion Patch indicates that you have learned about the religious emblems programs. The Universal Religious Square Knot indicates that you have earned your religious emblem. The two patches are completely different and not to be confused with each other.
- Where is it worn on the uniform?
The Duty to God Promotion Patch is a temporary patch and is worn on the button of the right shirt pocket.
- Does the Scout Shop carry these patches?
No. The Duty to God Promotion Patch is administered by P.R.A.Y. and is only available through P.R.A.Y.
- If a Scout just recently earned his religious emblem, does he qualify for this Duty to God Promotion Patch?
Yes. A Scout who just recently earned a religious emblem may receive a Duty to God Promotion Patch. However, in the following years, in order to receive the next segment of the Duty to God Promotion Patch, he will either have to earn another religious emblem (or make a presentation on religious emblems to another group).
- Why is this a four-segment puzzle patch?
The intent of the puzzle patch is to encourage leaders to make presentations on the religious emblems every year.
- When will the second segment become available?
The second segment will become available August 2006.
- Can girls earn this patch?
Yes. Although this program was created for members of the BSA, girls who wish to learn about religious emblems programs may earn this patch.
- I make presentations at Pow Wows and Round Tables every year. Can I hand out patches to the leaders at these trainings?
Yes. The Duty to God Promotion Patch may be distributed at adult trainings to encourage leaders to make presentations to their own units.
- Is this a BSA program?
This is a program created for members of the BSA. However, the program is administered by P.R.A.Y.
Donate to this Program
If you believe that this program will make a difference and would like to make a contribution towards its success, please use the contribution form found on the P.R.A.Y. Website (www.praypub.org) to make a donation. Please indicate on this form to designate your contribution to the Duty to God Patch Program.
Boys' Life Reading Contest
Enter the 18th Boys' Life Reading Contest Now!
Write a one-page report titled "The Best Book I Read This Year" and enter it in the Boys' Life 2005 "Say Yes to Reading!" contest.
The book can be fiction or nonfiction. But the report has to be in your own words—500 words tops. Enter in one of these three age categories: 8 years old and younger, 9 and 10 years old, or 11 years and older.
First-place winners in each age category will receive a $100 gift certificate good for any product in the Boy Scouts Official Retail Catalog. Second-place will receive a $75 gift certificate, and third-place a $50 certificate.
Everyone who enters will get a free patch like the green one above. (The patch is a temporary insignia, so it can be worn on the Boy Scout uniform shirt. Proudly display it there or anywhere!) In coming years, you'll have the opportunity to earn the other patches.
The contest is open to all Boys' Life readers. Be sure to include your name, address, age, and grade on the entry. Send your report, along with a business-size, self-addressed, stamped envelope, to:
Boys' Life Reading Contest, S306
P.O. Box 152079
Irving, TX 75015-2079
For more details go to www.boyslife.org
Entries must be postmarked by Dec. 31, 2005.