Webelos Scouts that earn the Chess Belt Loop while a Webelos
also satisfy requirement 8 for the Scholar Activity Badge.
Tiger Cubs, Cub Scouts, and Webelos Scouts may complete requirements in a family, den, pack, school, or community environment. Tiger Cubs must work with their parents or adult partners. Parents and partners do not earn loops or pins.
Complete these three requirements:
- Identify the chess pieces and set up a chess board for play.
- Demonstrate the moves of each chess piece to your den leader or adult partner.
- Play a game of chess.
Earn the Chess belt loop, and complete five of the following requirements:
- Demonstrate basic opening principles (such as development of pieces, control center, castle, don't bring queen out too early, don't move same piece twice).
- Visit a chess tournament and tell your den about it.
- Participate in a pack, school, or community chess tournament.
- Solve a pre-specified chess problem (e.g., "White to move and mate in three") given to you by your adult partner.
- Play five games of chess.
- Play 10 chess games via computer or on the Internet.
- Read about a famous chess player.
- Describe U.S. Chess Federation ratings for chess players.
- Learn to write chess notation and record a game with another Scout.
- Present a report about the history of chess to your den or family.