Webelos Scouts that earn the Fishing Belt Loop while a
also satisfy part of requirement 3 for the Sportsman Activity Badge.
Tiger Cubs, Cub Scouts, and Webelos Scouts may complete requirements in a family, den, pack, school, or community environment. Tiger Cubs must work with their parents or adult partners. Parents and partners do not earn loops or pins.
Complete these three requirements:
- Review your local fishing regulations with your leader or adult partner. Explain why they are important, and commit to following them.
- Demonstrate how to properly bait a hook.
- Try to catch a fish.
Earn the Fishing belt loop, and complete five of the following requirements:
- Compete in a pack or community fishing tournament.
- Demonstrate how to clean a fish.
- Prepare a report on three different kinds of fish. Include information on preferred habitats, feeding habits, and recommended fishing techniques, baits, and equipment needed to catch it.
- Draw a picture of three different types of fishing reels. Explain how each works.
- Tie three fishing flies. Use at least one to fish.
- Demonstrate proficiency in casting at a target 30 feet away.
- Select a species of fish and draw a picture of it, correctly labeling each part and its function.
- Replace the line in a fishing reel.
- Make a simple pole and line fishing rig. Use it to catch a fish.
- Catch a fish using artificial bait or lures.
- Practice fishing on five occasions, complying with local fishing regulations and the Outdoor Code.