This Loop and Pin replaced the former Skiing Belt Loop and Pin
To see the former requirements, which were in effect until 2002, click here.
Tiger Cubs, Cub Scouts, and Webelos Scouts may complete requirements in a family, den, pack, school, or community environment. Tiger Cubs must work with their parents or adult partners. Parents and partners do not earn loops or pins.
Complete these three requirements:
- Explain the conditioning, clothing, equipment, and planning needed for snow skiing or boarding.
- Be able to explain safety and courtesy codes for a downhill or cross-country trip.
- Go skiing or snow boarding. Demonstrate how to stop and turn.
Earn the Snow Ski and Board Sports belt loop, and complete five of the following requirements:
- Explain the different kinds of ski lifts. Use one.
- Describe the four universal symbols used to indicate ski trail difficulty.
- Demonstrate how to hold your position, get up from a fall, and do basic turns
- Demonstrate how to fall safely to avoid injury.
- Demonstrate five cross country skills, such as a kick turn, diagonal stride, double pole, side-step, step turn, herringbone, straight downhill running, cross-country snowplow, sideslipping, pole drag, diagonal stride uphill, and traverse.
- Participate in a game using skis or boards; such as relays, races, or racing around poles or flags.
- Explain what to do if you see a skiing or snow boarding accident. Discuss the dangers of avalanche.
- Take skiing or snow boarding lessons.
- View a film on skiing or snow boarding.
- Talk with a member of a ski patrol and learn about the job he or she does at the ski slope.
|Worksheets for use in working on these requirements:||DOC File||PDF File|