Study the Scouts BSA handbooks and the Camping merit badge pamphlet, and demonstrate to your Scoutmaster or other qualified person the following:
- Explain the most likely hazards you may encounter while using woods tools listed in requirement 5 and what you should do to anticipate, help prevent, manage, and respond to these hazards.
- Show that you know first aid for Injuries that could occur while using woods tools.
- Earn the Totin' Chip.
- Help a Scout or patrol earn the Totin' Chip, and demonstrate to them the value of proper woods-tools use .
- Be familiar with the proper and safe use, maintenance, and storage
of woods tools including:
- Pry bar
- Demonstrate proper use of four of the tools listed in requirement 5.
- With unit leader approval and supervision, using woods tools, spend
at least two hours doing one of the following conservation oriented
- Clear trails or fire lanes.
- Trim a downed tree, cut into 4-foot lengths, and stack; make a brush pile with branches.
- Build a natural retaining wall or irrigation way to aid in a planned conservation effort.
In addition to the Patch shown at the top of this page, a wallet card is available.
Source: Boy Scout Requirements 2020