|Earned before 4/1/99
||Earned after 4/1/99
Until April 1, 1999, either this Merit Badge
or Swimming MB or Personal Fitness MB
was Required to earn the Eagle Scout Rank
These were the REQUIREMENTS from 1996 through
To see the current requirements,
- Show that you know first aid for injuries or illnesses that
could occur while playing sports, including hypothermia; heatstroke;
heat exhaustion; frostbite; dehydration; sunburn; blisters;
hyperventilation; bruises; strains; sprains; muscle cramps;
broken, chipped, loosened, or knocked-out teeth; bone fracture;
nausea; and suspected injuries to the back, neck, and head.
- Explain sportsmanship. Tell why it is important. Give several
examples of good sportsmanship in sports. Relate at least one
of these to citizenship off the sports field.
- Take part for one full season as a member of an organized
team in ONE of the following sports:
skating (ice or roller)
track and field,
water polo, or
(Or any other recognized team sport approved in advance by
your counselor, except boxing and karate.)
- Take part in ONE of the following sports on a competitive
basis in two organized meets or tournaments:
bait or fly casting,
rifle or shotgun shooting,
skating (ice or roller),
track and field,
(Or any other recognized sport approved in advance by your
counselor, except boxing and karate.)*
- Make a set of training rules for the sports you picked.
Tell why these rules are important. Follow these rules. Design
exercises for these sports. Keep a record of how you do in these
sports for one season. Show how you have improved.
- Show proper technique in your two picked sports.
- Explain the attributes (qualities) of a good team leader
and a good team player.
- Draw diagrams of the playing areas for your two sports.
- Explain the rules and etiquette for your two sports. List
the equipment needed. Describe the protective equipment. Tell
why it is needed. Tell what it does.
* This cannot be the same sport used to meet requirement 3.
BSA Advancement ID#: 13
Pamphlet Revision Date: 1996
Requirements last revised in 1996