These were the REQUIREMENTS
before the REVISIONS made on 04/01/1999.
To see the current requirements
- Tell about the processes for producing printed communications:
offset lithography, gravure, flexography, letterpress (relief),
screen printing, and electronic processes. Show samples of each
or make sketches that explain how these processes work.
- Design a printed piece such as a poster or advertising flier.
Make an accurate layout and be sure to specify the type to be
used. Explain the difference between typefaces and explain their
purposes. Explain how type is arranged and the skills needed
to proceed to print.
- Explain the difference between a line and a halftone illustration
and how each is made.
- With your counselor, choose ONE of these printing processes
to print the piece you designed.
- Offset lithographic printing
- Using the layout you made, set the type, keyline
or paste-up, and prepare a suitable negative.
- Properly strip the negative for exposure onto an
offset plate. Expose and process this plate.
- Using this plate, print at least 50 copies.
- Screen process printing
- Using the layout you made, hand letter or set the
type, keyline or paste-up, and prepare a photographic
or hand-cut stencil.
- Adhere this stencil to a screen frame and prepare
the screen for printing.
- Using a screen printing base with clamps, print
at least 25 copies.
- Letterpress printing
- Using the layout you made, set the type either by
hand or machine and select an appropriate engraving
to illustrate your project.
- Lockup your type and engraving in a chase for printing.
- Using this form, print at least 50 copies.
- Do the following:
- Review with your counselor a brief background on the
history of bookbinding.
- Explain the differences between perfect, spiral, plastic
comb, and case binding.
- Explain saddle stitching, perfect binding, and four
- Make a scrapbook and bind it using one of the methods.
- Explain the pagination process.
- Identify three career opportunities in graphic arts and
tell how you can prepare for each of them.
- Do ONE of the following:
- Visit a newspaper printing plant. Follow a story from
the editor's desk through composition and printing. Tell
about your visit, including careers you observed and the
equipment used in the production of the newspaper.
- Visit a commercial printing plant. Follow a job through
production. Tell about your visit, including careers you
observed and the equipment used in the production of the
BSA Advancement ID#: 122
Page updated on:
May 08, 2022