REQUIREMENTS REVISED January 1, 2003
are highlighted by bold underlined text.
Deletions in 2003 are shown struck
through in red italics, like this text.
To see the NEW requirements without the changes
- Do the following:
- Grow six vegetables, three from seeds and three from seedlings, through harvesting.
- Grow six flowers, three from seeds and three from seedlings, through flowering.
- Give the food value of the following:
- Three root or tuber crops.
fruits orvegetables whichthat bear above the ground.
- Three fruits
- Test 100 garden seeds for germination. Determine the percentage of seeds that germinate. Explain why you think some did not germinate.
- Visit your county extension agent’s office, local university agricultural college, nursery, or a botanical garden or arboretum. Report on what you learned.
3. Tell what you did to control insects or diseases. Tell where and how to use a contact insecticide, a stomach poison, and a fungicide.
Identify five garden pests (insects, diseased plants). Recommend two solutions for each pest. At least one of the two solutions must be an organic method.
4.Do ONE THREEof the following: Test 100 garden seeds for germination.
Build a compost bin and maintain it for 90 days.
Make a hotbed or cold frame, and grow plants in same.
Build a vermipost bin (worm compost bin) and maintain it for 90 days.
Clean, bunch, or pack any three vegetables for market.
Build a hydroponic garden containing three vegetables or herbs, or three ornamental plants. Maintain this garden through harvest or flowering, or for 90 days.
Enter one of the vegetables or flowers you have grown in a show, fair, or festival.Build one water garden, either in a container (at least 12 by 6 inches and 6 inches deep), or in the ground as a small, decorative pond no larger than 6 by 3 feet and 24 inches deep. Maintain the water garden for 90 days.
Make a storage bin or pit for home use. Store part of a crop you have grown. Describe the process.
BSA Advancement ID#: 55
Pamphlet Revision Date: ????
Requirements last updated 2003