Bugling merit badge was to be discontinued in
and its requirements were to be merged into Music merit badge,
but BSA reconsidered that action and decided to retain Bugling as a separate merit badge.
A revised merit badge pamphlet which merged
Bugling into Music was released in early 2010,
but a replacement, retaining both badges was released in 2011 to replace it.
The requirements for this merit badge never changed during that period
The Music and audio files for the bugle calls listed in Requirement
can be found on our Bugle Call Page
or by clicking on the individual bugle calls listed below.
Click Here to download and/or print a PDF file of the bugle calls. (4 pages - 1.8 MB)
to go to the Frederick Military Academy Alumni website Bugle calls page,
which also has copies of the bugle calls in a number of formats, including WAV files by a professional bugler.
The bugle calls from that page can also be accessed from the individual bugle call pages linked below.
- Give a brief history of the bugle.
- Do the following:
- Explain and demonstrate how the bugle makes sound, and explain how the bugle is related to other brass wind instruments.
- Compose a bugle call for your troop or patrol to signal a common group activity, such as assembling for mealtime or striking a campsite. Play the call that you have composed before your unit or patrol.
- Sound the following bugle calls:
- Explain when each of the calls in requirement 3 is used.
- Explain how to care for, clean, and maintain a bugle.
- Serve as bugler in your troop for three months.
NOTE: A bugle, trumpet, or cornet may be used to meet these requirements.
BSA Advancement ID#:
Requirements last updated in: 2012
Pamphlet Publication Number: 33341A or 35921
Pamphlet Stock (SKU) Number: 35921
Pamphlet Revision Date: 2003 - 2011 Printing
Page updated on: May 06, 2013